These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Gravy Every Day
<p>We eat a lot of gravy…it is a simple one-pan way to make up something flavorful and then just add a protein and top a starch or greens. This recipe is where we start, and modify the herbs as cravings direct.</p>Source: Invented (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Step by Step Instructions
- Sauté mushrooms, onions, garlic in olive oil until onions clear and mushrooms tender. Add wine (if using); allow to evaporate a few minutes.
- Add parsley, sage and black pepper.
- Add vegetable broth, cover and bring to a light simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt if desired.
- Mix flour and nutritional yeast with cold water in a container with lid. Shake vigorously to create a thick, pourable paste with no lumps. Add more water as needed.
- Alternatively, for high fat version, melt margarine in pan, mix in flour and nutritional yeast. Add more melted margarine as needed to make a paste (roux). Stir over low heat for 2-3min.
- Slowly pour paste into simmering broth while stirring constantly with whisk or slotted spoon. Note gravy consistency; stop adding or make up more paste as needed to achieve gravy consistency you prefer.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings