These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Bamia - Okra Stew with Lamb
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>This is an old Middle-Eastern recipe served with short grained rice. The meat and okra are never made at the same time, meat is always made first or even in a separate pot, then later added together. You’ll get mushy okra if you cook them together at the same time.</p>Source: Food.com (Entered by Market Manager)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter or oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Brown meat, turning constantly, until browned on all sides,
- Add onions to meat and saute until translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock. Stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover tightly and cook for about 45 minutes- 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add more water if it becomes dry.
- Rinse okra and cut the stem end off and chop in half.
- once the meat is tender, add okra and 1 cup of water. Pour the juice of 1 lemon over the mixture.
- Cook an additional 30-45 minutes on low heat until it has a thick stew consistency and okra is soft. Serve with rice.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings